Monday, January 2, 2012

Mold Testing - Maintaining Your Family's Health

Whether we like it or not, mold is everywhere. You may clean your home as impeccably as you can but there’s no getting rid of these unwanted microscopic house guests. In many instances the only way to overcome the scourge of mold is to have your home tested for these microscopic spores.

Despite the fact that you cannot see mold, it is everywhere and it can cause illness and allergies. The reason that mold is so hardy is that all the microscopic fungi work as a colony. They are the primary agents that cause your food to spoil.

Many people are unaware that mold is central in the process of biodegradation, during which organic material is broken down into useful natural elements. Some are actually used to produce foods, beverages and medicines. Mold can be useful, but this does not mean that we should forget how dangerous it can be.

Mold survives best on the dead organic matter that we come across in nature. You have probably seen some kind of mold growing on your food at home, particularly decaying fruits and vegetables. Damp, dark areas are also likely habitats for mold to grow, so your bathroom, kitchen, basement and so on are all at risk.

Your home may contain black molds, bathroom molds, ceiling molds, wall molds, HVAC vent molds and molds in dust. Mold is not always toxic. You can eliminate many kinds of mold by reducing moisture in the affected areas.

In general, mold is moved all over your house through dust particles. Many people react badly to mold, and will start sneezing, their eyes will tear up and they may itch. If you suffer from chronic coughing, headaches, rashes, difficulty in breathing, sinus problems, and nasal blockage, you are probably in the presence of mold.

Fungal mold affects children the most, particularly Penicillium mold. One of the side effects of exposure in children is the onset of asthma and other respiratory problems. If your child sneezes very often for no apparent reason they might be suffering from exposure to Penicillium.

When in large quantities (that are still virtually invisible to an average person), mold can cause allergic reactions and a number of respiratory problems even to healthy adults. Mold can produce harmful mycotoxins. Some studies reveal that prolonged exposure to toxic mold can be so harmful that, in fact, there are recorded cases of neurological damages and deaths caused by over exposure to too much mycotoxin.

Mold sensitivity differs from person to person. Don’t be lulled into a false sense of security just because you are not being affected - your family might still be at risk. Anybody in your family with existing lung problems is likely to feel the effects of mold infestation the most.

Should you suspect that mold is growing in your home; a simple mold test can confirm your suspicions. You can reduce the risk by cleaning your home thoroughly, fixing leaks and addressing warm, damp areas. Finding mold is not the end of the world - get yourself a mold testing kit and hire house cleaners.

Get to know the reasons why mold testing in your home is very essential. Hit this link and you'll be enlightened.